What Makes St. John Eco Suites Eco-Friendly?
A green building is defined as an integrated, whole building approach to the planning, design, construction, operation, and maintenance of buildings and their surrounding landscapes that help mitigate the environmental, economic, and social impacts of buildings, so that they are energy-efficient, sustainable, safe, cost-effective, accessible, healthy, and productive.
Our St. John Eco Suites eco-building was built using permaculture principles where the natural topography, form, function, and shape dictated its design. Read more about our unique location and eco suite amenities.
Recycled, re-used, and local materials were used in the building process whenever possible. We work with St. John’s Island Green Building Association and consult with sustainability developer Monjia Belizaire, a member of the U.S. Green Building Council. Our architect, William Willigerod, is a founder of St. John’s Island Green Building Association.
We consider: 1) logging practices, 2) carbon footprint, 3) sustainability, 4) impact on the environment, and 5) global warming gases. Using natural, eco-friendly, cruelty-free products, we increase our conscious awareness about Mother Earth and sustainability.
SPECIFIC GREEN BUILDING PRACTICES:
- Unique 40′ shipping container build-out eco-facility
- Special location on a private island peninsula
- 3-minute walk to Frank Bay Beach
- 3-minute walk to Frank Bay Pond, a preserved bird eco-conservatory
- Scenic walk to town for dining, shopping, nightlife
- Local wildlife roams freely on the Point
- Water tanks for rainwater catchment
- Greywater systems
- Local building products
- Recycled building materials and furnishings
- Low-VOC or no-VOC paints, caulks, and adhesives
- Wood products from renewable or recycled content
- Solar power systems (in process; some loss of equipment after storms)
- Drought-tolerant landscaping
- Water Sense, EPA-certified shower heads and toilets
- Water-conservation faucets
- Non-toxic, PVC-free, eco-safe premium PEVA shower curtains
- Point of contact water heater system
- Energy Star appliances
- Porcelain tile flooring
- Eco-friendly rugs and mats
- Cross-breeze ventilation with lots of natural light
- Large ceiling fans
- Resilient, drought-resistant gardens
See what is available and submit your booking request at any time.